21 July 2009

My (not so) Green Thumb

This past winter my sister brought home some very lovely smelling soaps by Pangea Organics. I love companies with a strong commitment to the environment, especially when "green living" is incorporated into something fun and interactive.



Each bar of soap's packaging is biodegradable, and full of plant seeds. Simply flatten and moisten the box, bury it in the soil, and tend it following directions on the packaging. After just a couple weeks, your plant will grow...



...ummm, sort of.

Unlike my mom I am not an avid gardener. I suspect the problem is a combination of the hot summer and occasional over-watering. While I think my little plants are quite cute, they look nothing like the Google images I've searched of Amaranth Cockscomb.



On a brighter note, my cactus is thriving! I acquired this guy on a walk with my sister and mom. Mom was nice enough to take a cutting for me after I inquired if such a thing was possible, and suffered tiny spines in her lips as a result (that's a very long, hilarious story).



I am worried that the cactus is developing a symbiotic relationship with the dead rose bush it shares a pot with. The plant should be moved into its own pot with cactus soil, but I'm too afraid to do that at this point. Best leave well enough alone if I want some gardening success.

No comments: