17 July 2009

And that's the way it was...

I wasn't planning on posting today, but I had to sign on and say goodbye to news legend Walter Cronkite. "The most trusted man in America" passed away just a few hours ago at the age of 92. Mr. Cronkite delivered the "CBS Evening News" for 19 years, covering the highs and lows of the 21st Century: the assassination of JFK, the arrival of the Beatles in America, the first man on the moon, the Vietnam War, the Iranian hostage crisis.

I am too young to have seen any of Mr. Cronkite's live broadcasts; he became the CBS anchorman a year before my mom was born, and left three years before I was born. Still, I've come to know him through TV clips, documentaries, and online videos. It is obvious from this plethora of tape that Walter Cronkite loved the news. He loved journalism. He loved America.

Goodbye, Walter Cronkite. The news will never be same.



No comments: