05 July 2009

Current TV Programming + Chalk = Yet another reason I need to visit NYC

The TV has been on nearly all day today (Fourth of July recovery was needed), but the channel hasn't been changed once. That's because my family has recently discovered Current TV. Well, re-discovered it actually. My dad showed it to me last year, but we both kind of forgot about it, what with the regular television season being in full swing.

Anyway, they aired a "pod" about street artist Ellis Gallagher that I particularly loved. Ellis has made a name for himself by creating chalk outlines of shadows on the Brooklyn streets. The outlines are of everyday objects like mailboxes, streetlights, or his bicycle. The effect created is really beautiful: transforming the mundane sights of everyday life into something people actually stop and look at.



Also, a quick shout out to my friend Amy who is currently residing in Brooklyn. When I saw this video I thought of her. I also got a little jealous because she probably has a good chance of seeing Ellis' work in person. I'll make it up to her by plugging her blog, all those nothings. Enjoy!

No comments: