30 January 2010

Tilt-Shift

A friend of mine posted this on her blog a while ago, and I thought it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. With a bit of Photoshop tweaking, you can make almost any photograph look like a mini-model, a la the opening credits of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.


(More photos & instructions here.)


I decided to try it out for myself today, and had some moderate success:




This is my best attempt so far. It was taken from Tokyo Tower in Japan a few years ago. The angle and distance make it a great candidate for this sort of manipulation, but I wish I had a photo taken closer to midday with a clear blue sky (it was pretty hazy that day). I may play around with the saturation a bit more to see if I can compensate for this. I do love how the brake lights on the cars resemble tiny LEDs.




This image was taken in Shibuya, one of the busiest areas Tokyo. The angle isn't ideal (it should really be a downward shot), but I wanted to try anyway because I love the colors. The left half of the photo does look like a model (especially around the tree), and boosting the saturation levels adds to the "fake" look.

I will definitely be scouring my photos for more tilt-shift candidates. I'm also hoping to get some good shots in Vegas next weekend to play with.

1 comment:

Cleaning Christchurch said...

Love those photography tips. I hav not been as active in photography for a while and my old nikon is now in my closet gathering dust. Having seen your photos makes me want to do it again! Thanks.