07 August 2009

Summer Distraction #4: Orange County Fair

I didn't get to visit the San Diego County Fair* this year, but I did check out the Orange County version. Sure the food, rides, and vendors are all the same, but it didn't feel quite right. It's kind of like a knock-off purse: it looks like the real deal, but you'll always know it's a fake. Still, I had a great time with my friends eating deep-fried everything.

One of my favorite parts of any fair are the rides. I won't actually go on any of them**; I just like the way they look when they're all lit up.






*Formally the Del Mar Fair, as it's always been held at the Del Mar Racetrack. Many San Diegans still refer to it as the Del Mar Fair, and will likely do so for years (I still slip up myself). These are likely the same people who still referred to the stadium as 'Jack Murphy' long after it had been renamed 'Qualcomm.'

**For the record, I love thrill rides. I'm absolutely crazy for roller coasters, and despite a fear of heights, I'll try just about any ride once. The exception to this rule is carnival/fair rides. I outright refuse to put my life in the hands of apathetic carnies by willingly going on a ride that is meant to be assembled and disassembled multiple times.

2 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

I love these! Are these shot on a special camera?? Or basic point and shoot?

Sally said...

Just my digital camera. I took some Lomo shots, but haven't gotten them developed yet.